A debate is an argument to prove oneself right. That doesn't mean that one is obsessed at proving their point of view to be right every time. It's just a constructive discussion in which everyone gets a point to prove, and you learn a lot about issues and news happening in your surroundings. Schools and colleges have always encouraged students to participate in debate competitions that are held every year. This article talks about debate topics for students, which will help them have strong yet effective verbal communication.
Talking about speech topics in such competitions has its own advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include disappearance of stage fright and a feeling of confidence that comes when you voice your opinion in front of people. There are very few disadvantages, like, may be a discussion on controversies might sometimes leads to an ugly fight or an outburst of emotion, which is never good. But nonetheless, they have always been exciting and interesting.
Here are some regular subjects that are ideally suited for children. The ones mentioned below are certainly the kind that students can relate to, because they hear about them daily.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- Swimming in the ocean is better than swimming in a public pool.
- Studying grammar is more important than practicing conversation skills.
- Should schools require children to wear a uniform?
- Dogs make better companions than cats.
- Should bullies be expelled?
- Should physical education be mandatory for all students every day of the school week?
- A parent shouldn't pierce a baby's ears.
For School Children
- Are sports athletes role models?
- Teachers need to teach, keeping in mind the way a teenager's mind works.
- Are textbooks obsolete?
- Should teachers befriend students on social networking sites?
- Does the internet influence young people to engage in risky behavior?
- Is the desktop computer outdated?
- Is wrestling (WWE) real or fake?
- Should English be the world language?
- Television is the leading cause of violence in today's society.
- Alcohol should be illegal.
- Children should provide room and board for their aging parts.
- Smoking should be permitted in public places.
- Females are better students than males.
- Intelligence depends on environmental factors, not genetic factors.
- Women should be allowed to go topless in public.
- Lawyers should make a higher salary than nurses.
- Everyone should plan their own funeral.
- Are Low-Fat Foods the Healthier Alternatives?
- Should Sodas and Sugary Snacks be Sold in Vending Machines at Schools and Bake Sales be Banned?
The more controversial a theme is, the more interesting the discussion turns out to be. The following controversial options might make some people unhappy, but they are given below for the sake of discussion and to improve knowledge.
- Education is not as important as riches.
- Television is a bad influence.
- Are the Olympic games a waste of money?
- Should kids between the ages of six and ten be dropped off at the mall without adult supervision?
- Should minorities be allotted special rights?
- Should students be permitted to go to a PG-13 or R rated movie?
For School Children
- Should pregnant girls be allowed in school?
- Is medical testing on animals right or wrong?
- Should dating tips be given in school?
- Should school students face a mandatory drug testing session?
- Can US be called a safe country?
- Should boys or girls be permitted to have or attend a sleep-over party?
- Should the age to vote be reduced to 16?
- Should skateboarding be prohibited on sidewalks?
- Should the African Union copy the entire European Union cooperation model?
- Should any third party interfere in solving African issues?
- Is our nation prepared for another 9/11 attack?
- Is abortion right or wrong?
- Is capital punishment morally acceptable?
- Musical lyrics advocating violence should not be allowed.
- Is having a child outside of marriage right or wrong?
- Do we have a fair taxation system?
- Is man going too far by means of genetic cloning?
- Does religion cause war?
- Afterlife: Is there life after death?
- Is honesty the best policy?
Now, after discussing the serious and informative options, let's add some humor to it. I am listing down some humorous speech subjects below, some of which have a tinge of sarcasm.
- Schools should have a block schedule instead of seven periods a day.
- Is lottery a good idea?
- Should homework be banned?
- Should students be allowed to grade their teachers?
- What came first - the egg or the chicken?
- Are ghosts real?
- Is the pizza more delicious than the burger?
For School Children
- The parents of teenage fathers should pay child support until their grandchildren reach college.
- Do we eat to live or live to eat?
- Should the barter system be followed again?
- Should girls ask boys out?
- Are girls too mean to each other?
- Professional athletes should receive free chiropractic care after they retire.
- Should Exes remain friends?
- Should Kim Kardashian be banned from TV?
- Is marriage an outdated institution?
- Is our presidential election process fair?
- Should men get paternity leave from work?
- Is love blind?
- Are men more complicated or women?
So, these were some debate topics for students. As you can see, healthy competitions should not always have hard and serious subjects, you can also include some funny and interesting ones to make the discussion constructive and lively.