When it comes to college, student council elections are amongst the most popular activities held in the college campus. Most colleges have a student council, a body of students who act as a bridge between the students and the college administration. Student council is awarded a budget every year for promoting tasks related to student welfare. The student council president is designated as the treasurer of the financial budget and he is given the responsibility of using the budget effectively. By becoming the treasurer of the money, you will be expected to show transparency in your work and maintain records of all money transactions.
How to Write a Good Student Council Speech
Your student council speech will mark an end to your long election campaign. Your success or failure in the campaign will depend on how well you have connected with your voters. It is believed that a good student council speech can make a world of difference in impressing the prospective voters. Therefore, if you are a student standing for student council elections, you simply can't miss preparing for this effective phase of your speech. Here are some fundamental tips for writing a speech dedicated to the student council voters.
Know the Students' Needs
Make sure that the students are the central point of your speech. Your thoughts, ideas must focus on yourself but if you are not discussing the needs, wants and desires of the student community, you won't have any chance of winning the election.
To make a place in the heart of the students as an able leader, do the following.
- Along with other student council members, talk to a maximum number of students in the college. Meet them personally and hear their complaints. Make a note of all complaints, suggestions, and ideas given by them.
- Make special notes of events, festivals, and fests that students would like to include in the curriculum.
- Get to know ex council members. Talk to them about their ideas and experiences of winning the election. Try to learn from leaders who have already been there. Taking the help of finance teachers can have a great effect on your financial planning and budget allocation strategies.
If you are not confident, it will reflect in your speech. To win an election at college level, you must be completely aware of who you are. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Who inspires you the most? Ideally, you must sell yourself with correct and reliable facts. Your speech will begin by stating some personal information about you. This may include your academic interests, past performances and with some other points that the audience can identify with themselves.
Here are some tips to enrich your speech with more handy information about yourself.
- Share your experiences with the students in matters related to college; some unique experience that made you go for this coveted position.
- You should make a list of your works in various spheres of college and personal life. Your extra curricular activities, academic performances, volunteer works in NGOs, library membership, campus clubs, sports team membership and other activities. If you have experience of these things, you can use them emphatically at the right places in the speech.
- Use humor in your speech to ensure that students can find you something different from the extremely serious candidates. Use intelligent anecdotes to create insightful experiences.
- It is great, if you have worked at any financial position, in your internship or job. Even high marks in accounts, maths, finance, and economics in your college level are a good hint that you know a suitable way to handle finances.
Discuss Your Plans
Have you spotted weak areas in the college development that need to be strengthened. You must study the college facilities very well. What more can be done for students in the allotted budgets? Based on your research, study and observation, discuss in your speech, how will you utilize the finances effectively for college and student welfare. You must be able to prove to students that you are the right individual for the treasury position. The ideas and issues you raise for student and college welfare will especially tell the students about your vision and financial acumen. Make sure you are smart in this segment of the speech.
The way you conclude your speech will cast a great impression upon the audience. In the conclusion, you have to summarize your main ideas briefly and you must state what you will do once you are elected, as the president of the student council. Stress on the fact that how effective your plans will be for everyone. End the speech with a campaign slogan phrase or a clincher like 'Together, we will bring the change', 'vote for success', 'youth power redefined' etc.
So, did you get the ways to write an effective and impressive student council speech. In general, student council speeches are of 1.5 to 2 minutes with an average word count of 200 - 300 words. You must not only practice completing your speech on time, you must also make sure that you are able to put sufficient energy, enthusiasm and meaning in every word you utter. A student council speech is certainly going to be the most memorable experience of your life. Prepare for it thoroughly before you stand on stage to deliver it! All the best!