A persuasive speech is intended to change the outlook or thought of the listener. Here is a list of some interesting persuasive speech topics for school and college students.
Through a persuasive speech, you are expected to change the audience’s point of view (for the particular subject) within a short period. It may seem difficult, but, in reality, it is not. Remember that the key lies in the speech topic that you have chosen. It is essential to look for a speech topic that is contemporary and fascinating to the audience.
A thorough research is essential to make a speech or essay interesting, informative and coherent. Persuasive speech topics should be based on themes and ideas that the audience strongly feels about or may easily relate to.
At the same time, you should make sure that the topic interests you. It will be an additional benefit if you already have some prior knowledge of the topic as it will be helpful in the question-answer session. The speech should make the audience curious and inquisitive.
On the other hand, you need to think carefully before choosing a controversial topic, and also make sure that your views or thoughts are not defamatory, and do not hurt any particular group’s feelings.
Popular Persuasive Speech Topics
Here are some general topics for persuasive essays and speeches. Most of them are based on political or current issues that are sure to rouse interest in the audience.
– Ban beauty contests
– Capital punishment be abolished.
– Legalize gay marriages.
– There is no alternative to prison.
– College students should have curfews.
– Juvenile sentence is right.
– Reality shows are not real.
– Gambling should be regulated.
– Health insurance: a must for all citizens.
– Ban hunting.
– Dangers of steroids
– Ban on fur clothing is right.
– Legalize prostitution
– Euthanasia is unethical.
– Bilingual education is a must.
– Finance education is important in today’s world.
Abstract and Interesting Topics
The following are some interesting questions based on topics that do not have any particular answer or factual information. The efficiency of the speaker lies on the fact, as to how well can he persuade his audience to have a particular approach or point of view.
– Wonders of nature prove God exists.
– Aliens exist.
– Ghosts are for real.
– There is life after death.
– Angels are myths.
– Reincarnation is a fact.
– Beauty is skin deep.
Persuasive Speech Topics For Students
Teachers often encourage students to speak on different topics in class in order to involve them in class activities, debates and inculcate in them the art of public speaking. Here are some topics that will help you prepare an impressive persuasive speech or essay.
– Television: a bane for students.
– Sex education should be given in school.
– Exams should not be mandatory.
– Internet dating is harmful.
– No cell phones in school.
– Minimum wage for teenagers should be changed.
– Regular performance check for teachers should be mandatory.
– Underage body piercing should be banned.
– Downloading copyrighted music is immoral.
– Mothers should ideally stay at home.
Some More Speech Topics
Apart from the aforementioned ones, there are many other subjects that can be used as good topics for persuasive speeches. The topics mentioned below are related to current issues and hence, the audience will definitely find them interesting.
• Mandatory drug tests for students.
• Ban smoking in public.
• Abortion, a form of murder!
• Abortion should solely be a woman’s right.
• Adoption gives children a chance to have a better life.
• Prefer adoption over IVF.
• Alcohol kills!
• Ban alcohol advertising.
• Literature has a major impact on our lives.
• Traditional books are more effective than e-books.
• Princess Diana wrongly sainted
• Botox should be banned.
• Corruption is the most deadly evil today.
• Corruption affects justice.
► Cosmetic Surgery
• Cosmetic surgery is dangerous.
• Plastic surgery is a self-confidence booster.
• Dieting is harmful.
• Diet pills should be banned.
• Fireworks harm the environment.
• Children should be discouraged from playing with fireworks.
► Global Warming
• Global warming: a global problem.
• Individual contribution will save the Earth.
► Human Cloning
• There are benefits of human cloning.
• Human cloning is immoral.
• A good movie is the director’s credit.
• Novels are better than their movie counterparts.
► Nuclear Weapons
• Possession of nuclear weapons should be banned.
• Nuclear weapons are a waste of money.
► Organ Transplants
• Organ donation after death should be encouraged.
• Organ donation wrong for religious reasons
• Freedom of press gone too far.
• Paparazzi need celebrities and vice versa.
► Privacy Rights
• Create a censor board for the Internet.
• Students’ lockers should be checked.
• Recycling on a large scale is cost-efficient.
• Reducing waste production is better than recycling.
► Space Program
• Space exploration benefits the world.
• Private space travel should not be encouraged.
► Tax Laws
• The present tax system is unfair.
• Paying taxes regularly has long-term benefits.
► Teen Pregnancy
• Teenage pregnancy affects the future of the mother and the child.
• Most teenagers lack proper sex education.
• Terrorism can never be justified.
• Gun laws should be severed.
► Women’s Rights
• Working women should be given special privileges.
• Women can never be truly free.
You should choose a topic that interests you, and carry out a detailed research. So, go ahead and deliver your persuasive speech confidently and watch the audience applaud! Good luck!