Hence, there has to be a wide variety of such equipment. It has to be joyful and engaging, so that the children remain engrossed in them all the time. Since this is the age for learning and development, the equipment set up should be designed such that they stimulate all their senses and through the senses, their thinking process.
The whole thing poses as a single unit, to promote continuous play, whereas the free-standing plan includes all the components like slides, swings, etc., located away from each other. Play panels are the larger plastic-board version of the box cardboard games that are played in a group or individually.
These are more beneficial for preschool children, as it minimizes the risk of them swallowing tiny play parts of the cardboard games. A playground should also employ equipment that renders good physical exercises to the children, while they are having fun.
Climbing equipment, like, climbers should be essentially installed to exercise the upper bodies of children, effectively. There should be proper decks, roofs, and bridges installed for connecting these equipment to each other. This allows them to move freely and effortlessly from one game to another.
Precautions and Tips
Equipment should be selected with extra care, as the individuals who handle them are innocent and carefree. The child safety tips to be kept in mind before selecting the equipment are:
- The playground or playroom should be spacious and airy, but if enough space is not available, the layout should be planned to let in maximum fresh air and sunlight.
- The equipment should not be very high, as the individuals handling them are 'tiny'.
- Care should be taken to avoid equipment with sharp edges. Any equipment that has sharp edges should be covered with some suitable material to avoid injuries to the children while playing.
- A temporary awning should be provided to the playground area; it is required the most during the rainy season or during summers.
- If the toys consist of dolls, puzzles, etc., care should be taken that none of them have small parts that can be accidentally swallowed by the children. Toys that dismantle into smaller parts should be avoided, instead play panels should be preferred.
- Educational toys can be included. Setting a theme for the playground enhances its look and value.
- Protective gates should be placed wherever necessary, so that the children do not leave the premises on their own.
- Avoid having any water bodies or pits around the playground area.
Each and every playground fulfills the task of exercising the kids' body and mind in some way or the other. Playhouse instruments can be easily set-up in the backyard of your house. They are available in kits and can be installed without any professional help.